MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles® ) – It’s official. Philippines President NoyNoy Aquino now holds the Guinness World Record for the longest State of the Nation Address (SONA).
Aquino delivered his last SONA Monday night before a joint session of Congress. From his first word to the last, it took him two hours and ten minutes, beating all other lenghty SONAs anywhere in the world.
In the U.S., most presidents keep their State of the Union Address (SOTU) under one hour, although occasionally they would go over. President Bill Clinton holds the U.S. record for the longest SOTU for his January 27, 2000 address which ran for one hour, twenty eight minutes and forty nine seconds.
Aquino’s SONA was occasionally interrupted by brief applause, yawns, a sip of water and his smoker’s cough.
The Guinness World Record will go down in history as the greatest legacy of any Philippine president, dead or alive.
Click HERE for highlights of Aquino’s last SONA.
MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles® ) – On Monday, July 27, Philippine President NoyNoy Aquino will deliver his last SANA. His State of the Nation Address.
No, that was not a typo. Aquino will, in fact, deliver his SANA. ‘Sana’ is a Tagalog word loosely translated as ‘wishful thinking.’
Malacañang, the presidential palace, gave reporters a glimpse of what the president will say — a laundry list of what he wished he had done as president and what he hopes will happen after his term expires in 2016:
- He wished he had brought a first lady into Malacañang, particularly reigning Miss Philippines Pia Wurtzbach. Well, time is running out.
- He wished he had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Now THAT is really some wishful thinking.
- He wished Mar Roxas had been his vice president instead of Jojo Binay. Dream on.
- He wished the constitution would be amended to allow him to run for a second six-year term. Case closed.
- He hopes that Mar Roxas will be the next president. Careful what you wish for.
- He wished that he hadn’t said in public that he will let himself be run over by a train if MRT, Metro Manila’s mass light railway system, continued with its massive problems. Too late! Filipinos are anxiously waiting!
- He hopes that he will be given a complimentary VIP, front-row ticket to Madonna’s Rebel Heart Concert in Manila in February next year. Now we’re talking!
- He hopes his sister, talk-show host Kris, would stop embarrassing the Aquino family and STFU! Now you’re talking!
For a full, live coverage of SANA, tune in to CNN Philippines. They do a good job of covering red carpet fashion.
WASHINGTON, D.C. (The Adobo Chronicles) – The White House today apologized for a major blunder during a luncheon it hosted for members of the media. It was a pre-State of the Union Address gathering to provide legitimate journalists and TV news anchors with advance highlights of President Obama’s speech.
“We sincerely apologize. We meant to invite only people, not animals, and certainly not foxes, to the lunch,” White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said.
Two foxes were seated next to NBC’s Brian Williams, complete with place cards.
Shepard Smith reports: