MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte didn’t have to fall in line at the U.S. Embassy in Manila for a U.S. visa. It came in the mail, courtesy of U.S. President Donald Trump.
Alas, Duterte instructed his right-hand man Bong Go to return the mail to sender.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, previously praised and invited by President Trump to come to the White House, said he will not visit the United States during or after his term because the country is “lousy.”
Duterte’s remarks about one of the Philippines’ oldest allies was in response to Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.), who said he would protest if the Filipino leader utilized Trump’s invitation.
“There will never be a time that I will go to America during my term, or even thereafter. So what makes that guy think I’ll go to America? I’ve seen America, and it’s lousy,” Duterte told reporters Friday about McGovern.
Upon learning of the mailed visa, Vice President Leni Robredo sent a text message to the U.S. Embassy, asking if she could stand as proxy to Duterte for the botched White House visit. Embassy officials have yet to respond to Robredo.
MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has been quoted in the past about his threat to dump the bodies of illegal drug lords and pushers into Manila Bay.
Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada beat him to it, except that instead of human bodies, Estrada dumped trash into the Bayonly to be picked up again as part of a publicity stunt.
That gave Duterte an idea.
Reliable sources told The Adobo Chronicles that the President’s State of the Nation Address (SONA) on Monday will include a proposal to throw his most ardent critics in the Senate into the Bay to be picked up again.
It is part of Duterte’s message to the Filipino people that the Senate needs some cleanup. But it is also a message that he will tolerate all criticism against him and his administration, and that he has no intention of permanently silencing them.
The senators who will be temporarily dumped into the Bay include Antonio Trillanes, Bam Aquino, Risa Hontiveros, Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan and Franklin Drilon.
Philippine National Police Director Ronald ‘Bato’ de la Rosa will lead Duterte’s cleanup drive.
MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – CEO Maria Ressa has decided to rename her online news source, Rappler.
The decision came on the heels of the recent announcement that business tycoon Ramon Ang is purchasing The Philippine Daily Inquirer.
Both the Inquirer and Rappler have the reputation of being the mouthpiece of the Liberal Party and its coalition of Yellows.
Sensing that Rappler might be next on the chopping block, Ressa decided to rename Rappler as a way of reinventing itself while maintaining its mark as the voice of the Opposition.
The new name is Rippler which suggests that the online news source will continue its mission of ripping the credibility of the Duterte administration and those who support it — that’s more than 80% of the entire Filipino population.
It could also mean that the online news source will continue to rip off its investors and followers, purporting to be the vanguard of investigative journalism while reaping the benefits of financial gain.
Or, it could also be a foreboding of what’s about to befall Rappler — its subsequent demise. R.I.P., Rippler.