Tag Archives: drought

GOVERNOR BROWN ORDERS WATER RESTRICTIONS IN CALIFORNIA BUT NOBODY BELIEVES HIM

imageECHO LAKE, Calif. – California Gov. Jerry Brown ordered officials Wednesday to impose statewide mandatory water restrictions for the first time in history as surveyors found the lowest snow level in the Sierra Nevada snowpack in 65 years of record-keeping.

The problem is, no one in California believes him.

Brown chose the wrong day to issue the order : April Fools’ Day.

For many Californians, the news about Brown’s order was as believable as the news of  Mike Pence resigning as governor of Indiana today.

Perhaps Brown’s communications manager needs to be written up.

IRS RULES: ONLY 80 PERCENT OF ‘ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE’ DONATIONS IS TAX-DEDUCTIBLE

NBC 'Today' host Matt Lauer taking last summer's Ice Bucket Challenge
NBC ‘Today’ host Matt Lauer taking last summer’s Ice Bucket Challenge

WASHINGTON, D.C. (The Adobo Chronicles) – It’s that time of the year when U.S. taxpayers start receiving their tax forms like W-2’s and 1099’s, as well as their donation receipts for their 2014 charitable donations which are fully tax-deductible (unless they received goods or services as part of their donations).

The summer of 2014 saw one of the most successful donation campaigns in nonprofit history — the Ice Bucket Challenge to benefit the ALS Association.  It was a campaign that went viral worldwide, raising hundreds of millions of dollars for ALS research.

As Americans begin to file their 2014 income tax returns, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced a ruling that only 80% of donations to the Ice Bucket Challenge is tax-deductible.  The remaining 20% will be used by state governments to make up for all the water that went to waste as a result of the ice bucket challenge campaign.

In California, which continues to experience a severe drought, taxpayers can only deduct 60% of their donation to the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Taxpayers who made donations to the campaign are advised to consult with their tax attorneys to avoid being audited by the IRS.

CALIFORNIA’S CHALLENGE TO THE ALS ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE

The Folsom Lake Reservoir in 2011, left, and in 2014
The Folsom Lake Reservoir in 2011, left, and in 2014

Sacramento, California (The Adobo Chronicles) – In its current state, the Folsom Lake  Reservoir, located northeast of Sacramento, best demonstrates the adverse effect of the drought in California. In just the last two and half years, the water level has gone from 97% capacity to just 17% (see photo).

The state’s severe water shortage crisis has prompted California officials to put in place an ordinance that would fine residents who waste water through daily chores like watering the lawn, washing cars or hosing down sidewalks.  Violation of the ordinance carries with it a fine of $500.

But not even the threat of penalty or the grim photos of almost-empty reservoirs throughout the state has prevented Californians from taking up the Ice Bucket Challenge, the social media phenomenon that has taken the U.S. by storm.  The challenge involves people dousing themselves with a bucket of ice, video-taping it and posting it on social media.  In turn, they challenge two other people to do the same or donate $100 to the ALS Association.  ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s  disease is a paralyzing and sometimes fatal condition involving the degeneration of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. It is estimated that 30,000 Americans have ALS.

In a change of heart, California officials said they would not be imposing the penalty for wasting water on those who choose to take up the Ice Bucket Challenge.  Instead, the Watershed Conservation Authority (WCA) has posed its own challenge to the Ice Bucket Challenge.

On September 1, Labor Day, WCA is challenging  One Million Californians to gather at the Folsom Lake Reservoir and simultaneously douse themselves with iced water buckets, letting the water fill into the lake. “It’s a win-win situation,” a spokesperson for WCA said, “they can accept the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge while helping to solve the state’s water shortage crisis.

Folsom Lake Reservoir has a surface area of 11,450 acres. The Adobo Chronicles did the math: An acre holds approximately 360,000 gallons of water. If One Million Californians poured a gallon of water each into the lake, that would be a total of 2.7 acres.

Unfortunately, our calculator just ran out of battery, so we are asking the help of our readers to calculate how many Californians pouring a gallon of water each into the lake would fill 11,450 acres.  Please use the comment section for your answers.