PHILIPPINE POLITICIANS GIVE UP PORK BARREL FOR LENT

Philippine Cardinal Tagle administers ash to the Catholic faithful on Ash Wednesday (file photo)
Philippine Cardinal Tagle administers ash to the Catholic faithful on Ash Wednesday (file photo)

Manila, Philippines – In his message to the Filipino people on Ash Wednesday – the beginning of Lent – Philippine Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle admonished the Catholic faithful to “fast and abstain not to be slim and sexy, and be charitable not to be popular.”

Many Catholics abstain from eating meat for 40 days during Lent in the spirit of sacrifice.

Responding to the cardinal’s appeal,  Philippine legislators in both the Senate and House of Representatives unanimously agreed to give up pork for the next 4o days – pork barrel, that is.

The decision by the politicians couldn’t have come at a more appropriate time in view of the current legislative investigation of the 10 Billion-peso pork barrel scandal which has linked several legislators to the scam of siphoning taxpayer money into fake non-govenmental organizations (NGOs) and into the pockets of certain businessmen and elected officials.

It wasn’t clear whether the politicians’ “abstinence” from pork will automatically be rescinded come Easter Sunday, the end of the Lenten season.

Advertisements

SAMSUNG UNVEILS SMART PHONE-TABLET COMBO, SENDS JITTERS TO APPLE

 

The new Samsung S-Triple X
The new Samsung S-Triple X

Suwon, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea – Samsung is living up to its advertising mantra of “The Next Big Thing Is Here,” and Apple is getting nervous. It’s out with the “thin and tiny,”  and it’s in with the “big and bulky,” as far as smart phones are concerned.

South Korea’s giant electronics company has just unveiled the next generation of its popular Samsung S-4 which has always been considered the iPhone’s biggest competition.  The competition just got bigger with Samsung’s new S-Triple X smart phone with a larger screen, high resolution camera and the convenience of a tablet that doubles as face cover for uninterrupted phone calls.

“There is nothing not to like about this new smart phone,” a spokesperson for Samsung told reporters at an electronics fair in Seoul. “No more squinting of the eyes to read tiny fonts, no more danger of misplacing phones, and no more need for a wireless, bluetooth-enabled keyboard.”

Samsung’s unveiling sent Apple executives back to the drawing board to redesign the company’s next series of iPhones. They have reportedly thrown out their idea of a mini mini-iPhone and have set their eyes on  creating the iPhone XII which is about the size of the current iPad.  Additionally, Apple sources say they will phase out the iPad since the iPhone XII will function both as a cell phone and a tablet.

 

VIRAL TWEET WASN’T ELLEN’S SELFIE AFTER ALL

Bradley Cooper, foreground, takes the photo that went viral on Oscar night
Bradley Cooper, foreground, takes the photo that went viral on Oscar night

Hollywood, California – Ellen DeGeneres’ Oscar night selfie that became the most re-tweeted tweet ever and caused Twitter to temporarily crash on Sunday, was, after all, not Ellen’s selfie.

Oxford Dictionaries which just last year named ‘selfie’ the “Word of the Year,” defines selfie as ” a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website.

The problem was that it wasn’t DeGeneres that took the viral photo.  It was Bradley Cooper.  In fact, DeGeneres herself said in her tweet that “If only Bradley’s arm was longer…”

So it is Cooper, not Ellen, who owns the photo and who should be credited with the honor of the most re-tweeted tweet.

The Adobo Chronicles learned from sources close to Cooper that his lawyers are working to copyright the famed photograph.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: