Category Archives: International

NO ‘MISS UNIVERSE’ IN 2014; PHILIPPINES LOSES BID TO HOST POPULAR BEAUTY PAGEANT

miss-universe-2013-34dMiami, Florida (The Adobo Chronicles) – Last week, The Adobo Chronicles reported that the reign of Megan Young, current title holder of the Miss World Beauty Pageant, has been extended for one full year. Impressed by the Filipina beauty’s talent, eloquence and popularity, The Miss World Organisation announced that the Filipina Beauty has been asked to keep her crown until December 15, 2015.

Now, the Miss Universe Organization has also confirmed that there will be no Miss Universe Pageant this year.  The last pageant was held in Moscow, Russia, in November of 2013.  This means that the reigning Miss Universe, Venezuela’s Gabriela Isler gets to keep her crown for an extra two months — 69 days to be exact.

There were reports that the Philippines had put in a bid to host the 2014 Miss Universe Pageant in Cebu or Palawan, but it looks like that is not going to happen. The next pageant will be held in the City of Doral in Florida on January 18, 2015.

Doral, incorporated on June 24, 2003, is one of thirty-four municipalities in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Conveniently located just one mile from Miami International Airport and twelve miles from Downtown Miami, the city is home to approximately 50,213 residents.

In deciding on the City of Doral for the next pageant venue, Miss Universe Organization owner and president Donald Trump said that “I can’t risk having the pageant in the Philippines,” citing problems like government corruption, transportation and traffic nightmares, floods and the eruption of Mayon volcano. “This is not to mention Manila’s international airport being named as the worst airport in the world. My sponsors will not support the pageant under these circumstances,” Trump added.

There were rumors that Trump, because of financial issues, was getting ready to give up the Miss Universe Organization. It therefore makes sense not to have the pageant in a place and environment that would cost him a huge loss in sponsorship and revenue.

The big question remains: will the 2015 Miss Universe have a one-year reign, or fourteen months like Isler?

APPLE RECALLS ALL iPHONE 6 AND 6 PLUS DUE TO MAJOR DESIGN FLAW

FullSizeRender (4)Cupertino, California (The Adobo Chronicles) – It is not uncommon for car manufacturers to recall specific models of their automobiles due to design flaws or for food manufacturers to recall items that may have been tainted with bacteria or other health hazards.  But tech companies recalling their products is practically unheard of. Until now. And it had to be the biggest and most successful company, Apple.

Just days after it launched its iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Apple has issued a major recall of all of the new phones due to a major design flaw. Until yesterday, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have been hailed as the best smart phones ever to hit the market.

Today, however, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced the recall of all phones sold thus far and said that the company has halted the sale and shipping of the new products.

The reason?  A major design flaw in the packaging. Many customers have complained that when they first opened their iPhone box, the phone slipped out of the box and into the ground, causing the screen of the device to break or result in major dents to the phone. One such incident was even documented on live television when the first Australian to buy the iPhone 6 at an Apple store dropped the device as he opened the box to show his new phone to a television reporter.

The iPhone sits on top of the box, unsecured, resulting in excited customers to accidentally drop the device upon opening the box.

Cook said Apple is deeply embarrassed and promised that all customers who have purchased the new iPhones will get a replacement as soon as the design flaw is fixed. In addition, they will get a free Apple Watch when it comes out early next year.

In the meantime, the backorder and waiting period to get the new phones will be three months, just in time for the Christmas holiday.

 

OBAMA APPOINTS JEREMY LIN AS U.S. AMBASSADOR TO CHINA

volvolinWashington, D.C. (The Adobo Chronicles) –President Barack Obama has just announced the appointment of NBA player Jeremy Shu-hou Lin as new ambassador to the People’s Republic of China.  If confirmed by the Senate, the basketball star will replace current Ambassador Max Sieben Baucus who is stepping down after just seven months in his position.  Baucus is quitting because he says he is extremely homesick and wants to go back to his home in Montana.

Lin, who currently plays with the Los Angeles Lakers, became an international sensation in 2012 when he unexpectedly led a winning streak by the New York Knicks in that year’s NBA season.  This started the “Linsanity” craze in the U.S. and abroad.

In announcing the appointment, Obama said that there is no one who could better fill the shoes of Baucus than Lin.  “Although he was born in America, the Chinese people can very well identify with him because of his lineage,” Obama said.

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest told reporters that the president is well aware that the Chinese are very fond of basketball and hopes that Lin’s dribbling, guarding and shooting skills will further endear the Chinese to the United States of America.

Rodman, right, with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un
Rodman, right, with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un

There was earlier speculation that Obama was considering appointing Dennis Rodman, given the flamboyant basketball player’s demonstrated diplomatic skills in his meetings with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.  However, Obama decided on Lin because he believes that the Chinese will take him more seriously than Rodman.

Lin, 26, will make history as the youngest U.S. Ambassador, eclipsing the previous record held by John Huntsman, Jr. who was appointed by President George H.W. Bush in 1992 as ambassador to Singapore.  Huntsman was 32.