WASHINGTON, D.C. (The Adobo Chronicles, Washington Bureau) – Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has said that he has been denied a U.S. visa in the past when he sought to visit a girlfriend in America.
Now that he’s president, it would be very easy for him to secure a U.S. visa, right? Wrong! Not with Donald Trump’s proposed policy limiting legal immigration.
The Reforming American Immigration for Strong Employment Act, or RAISE Act, favors people between the ages of 26 and 30 with a doctorate, high English proficiency and a job offer with a high salary.
In a simulated test (courtesy: Time magazine), one must earn a minimum of 30 points in order to qualify to apply for a U.S. visa.
Let’s see how Duterte fares in this test:
So there you have it, Duterte scores a total of 15 points, not even half of the minimum required to apply for a U.S. visa.
But it doesn’t matter, Duterte thinks the U.S. is a “lousy” country anyway.
MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte didn’t have to fall in line at the U.S. Embassy in Manila for a U.S. visa. It came in the mail, courtesy of U.S. President Donald Trump.
Alas, Duterte instructed his right-hand man Bong Go to return the mail to sender.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, previously praised and invited by President Trump to come to the White House, said he will not visit the United States during or after his term because the country is “lousy.”
Duterte’s remarks about one of the Philippines’ oldest allies was in response to Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.), who said he would protest if the Filipino leader utilized Trump’s invitation.
“There will never be a time that I will go to America during my term, or even thereafter. So what makes that guy think I’ll go to America? I’ve seen America, and it’s lousy,” Duterte told reporters Friday about McGovern.
Upon learning of the mailed visa, Vice President Leni Robredo sent a text message to the U.S. Embassy, asking if she could stand as proxy to Duterte for the botched White House visit. Embassy officials have yet to respond to Robredo.
WASHINGTON, D.C. (The Adobo Chronicles, Washington Bureau) – Divorce rates in the United States almost tripled in just the last 24 hours, thanks to a decision by the Supreme Court to allow parts of Donald Trump’s Muslim travel ban to go into effect.
The ruling by the Supremes all but upholds the administration’s temporary ban on issuing travel visas to citizens from several Muslim countries.
The court’s opinion explained the kinds of relationships people from the six countries must demonstrate to obtain a US visa.
“For individuals, a close familial relationship is required,” the court said. For people who want to come to the United States to work or study, “the relationship must be formal, documented and formed in the ordinary course, not for the purpose of evading” the travel ban.
Apparently, many Americans who are opposed to the Muslim travel ban are resorting to divorcing their spouses in the hope that they can marry citizens from the banned countries. This would satisfy the court’s condition of “close familial relationship.”
Let’s give it to these Americans. They can’t be outsmarted. Not by Trump. Not even by the U.S. Supreme Court!