The Adobo Chronicles brings you the latest Yellow news round-up as reported by reliable local and international news sources:
- Newly-wed couple Senator Antonio Trillanes and Representative Gary Alejano began their two-week honeymoon in an undisclosed location somewhere in the European Union. The couple obtained their marriage certificate this week from the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands where same-gender marriage has been in place for some time now.
- For the third straight year, the Philippines has been named the ‘Selfie Capital of the World,’ thanks to the efforts of the Liberal Party and other members of the opposition. The Guinness Book of World Records also noted that the Philippines is credited for starting a new world trend of ‘paper selfies’ — that is, taking self photos with documents, petitions and affidavits in hand. No other country has come close to the Philippines’ record of 258 selfie-takers per 100,000 people.
- The Supreme Court (SC), acting as Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET) has extended the term of FVP Leni Robredo by 19 days. The high court reset to July 11 the scheduled June 21 preliminary conference on the protest and counter-protest in the 2016 vice-presidential election filed by former Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. and Vice President Leni Robredo, respectively.
- Senator Risa Hontiveros has filed a copyright petition to claim exclusive ownership of her new definition of “rebellion” and “invasion.’ The smart lady senator earlier criticized President Rodrigo Duterte’s declaration of Martial Law in Mindanao, arguing that the terrorist siege on Marawi City didn’t constitute rebellion nor invasion.
- Incarcerated Senator Leila De Lima and Filipino American millionaire Loida Nicolas Lewis have sent a joint letter to US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley to reconsider her recent threat to withdraw from the Human Rights Council. De Lima and Lewis are very worried that if the US quits the UN council, they will lose a key ally in their allegations of human rights abuses under the Duterte administration.
- In the field of entertainment, former presidential sister Kris Aquino announced on her social media page that she has been cast in her first-ever Hollywood movie. She will play Darna in the Hollywood Films and DC Comics production of ‘Darna Versus Wonder Woman,’ set to open Labor Day Weekend simultaneously in the U.S. and the Philippines.