MAKATI CITY, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – On Monday, Filipino Congressman Joey Sarte filed a resolution in Manila’s House of Representatives that seeks to permanently ban U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump from entering the country following his campaign speech last week where a he named the Philippines as one of the “terrorist nations.”
During a rally in Portland, Maine, Trump announced that immigrants came to the U.S. legally and then plotted to murder Americans. He said that countries like the Philippines, Somalia, Syria, Morocco, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan and Yemen were sending such people to the U.S. and called them “terrorist nations.”
“We’re letting people come in from terrorist nations that shouldn’t be allowed because you can’t vet them,” the real estate mogul said.
In the upper chamber, Senator Manny Pacquiao filed a separate resolution that would authorize the government to build a wall around the 56-storey Trump Tower in Makati City. The residential building is set to open at the end of this year and is one of the international real estate projects of the Trump Organization.
In a statement issued to the press, Pacquiao said that the wall will ensure that Donald Trump will not be able to sneak into the property, in the event that his arrival in the Philippines is not detected by the country’s Bureau of Immigration.
“As a persona non grata, Trump should be barred from entering the Philippines or accessing his property in the country,” Pacquiao said.
In addition to the wall, Pacquiao’s resolution also mandates that the property be patrolled 24/7 by the Philippine National Police.