MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles) – To mark Pope Francis’ visit, Sri Lanka and the Philippines are granting pardon and releasing prisoners convicted of minor offenses.
The Sri Lanka Prisons Department announced the release of 612 prisoners. Local television networks showed the prisoners walking through prison gates, greeting a Catholic priest and then dispersing to head home.
In the Philippines, President NoyNoy Aquino similarly announced the release of prisoners convicted of, or facing minor charges like plunder, graft and corruption. “I am granting absolute pardon to these prisoners in solidarity with Pope Francis’ call for forgiveness and compassion,” Aquino said.
Here is a partial list of prisoners to pardoned and who will be released as soon as the Pope’s plane lands in Manila:
- Former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo
- Former President Ferdinand E. Marcos (posthumous)
- Former President Joseph Estrada (repeat pardon)
- Senator Juan Ponce Enrile
- Senator Bong Revilla
- Senator Jinggoy Estrada
- Businesswoman and pork barrel queen Janet Lim Napoles
- Former Supreme Court Justice Renato Corona (impeachment overturn)
- Vice President Jejomar Binay (advance pardon)
- Interior Secretary Mar Roxas (advance pardon)
Aquino also announced that he will bestow upon actress Nora Aunor the title of National Artist. An apparent change of heart. Walang Himala (There is no miracle).
God bless the Pope. God bless President Aquino.