MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – WannaCry virus is a ransomware program targeting Microsoft Windows that has recently infected over 230,000 computers in 99 countries, demanding ransom payments in bitcoin in 28 languages.
If you live in the Philippines, here’s how you can protect your computers from the data-damaging virus:
- Do not open emails from Leni Robredo, Jim Paredes, Cynthia Patag, Raissa Robles, Maria Ressa, Atty. Jesus Falcis or Agot Isidro.
- Refrain from getting your online news from ABS-CBN, Inquirer or Rappler, TIME, or New York Times.
- Be cautious when clicking on links from Winnie Monsod , Chito Gascon or Georgina Hernandez.
- If you see phrases on your emails or social media accounts such as ‘UN Rapporteur,’ ‘frailties of a woman,’ or ‘na ano lang,’ delete them right away. They contain the dreaded virus.
- Be very afraid when a yellow flip flop icon appears on your Facebook, Twitter or Instagram accounts. Your computer has been compromised. See an IT immediately.
- Always stick to Adobo Chronicles, PCOO, Manila Times except the column of Kit Tatad, and the pro-Duterte Trollerati for up-to-date, unbiased and accurate news and information.
Spead this warning widely to your friends, family and networks. You’re welcome!