Tag Archives: typhoon Yolanda

FILIPINO VICTIMS OF 2013 TYPHOON YOLANDA ASK UNITED NATIONS FOR ‘REFUGEE STATUS’

Filipino victims of Typhoon Yolanda (2013 file photo by Reuters)
Filipino victims of Typhoon Yolanda (2013 file photo by Reuters)

Tens of thousands of Filipinos displaced by typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) in 2013 are clamoring to be re-classified as “refugees” so that they can find permanent homes and better living conditions in Europe and other countries that have opened their borders to Syrian refugees.

Yolanda slammed Eastern Visayas on Nov. 8, 2013, leaving more than 6,000 people dead.

Back in January this year, Vice President Jejomar Binay said that a total of 205,128 houses were needed for Yolanda victims in 116 cities and municipalities.  As of the end of 2014, a total of only 2,100 housing units have been completed.

Binay  was chair of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council and head of the Yolanda Resettlement Cluster before his resignation from President NoyNoy Aquino’s cabinet in June this year.

The Aquino government had said that it is targeting to finish  the construction of  an additional 120,000 housing units by the end of this year.

That still leaves tens of thousands more who would need  roofs over their heads.

Feeling almost hopeless about their dire situation, the displaced typhoon victims have petitioned the United Nations to re-classify their status to “refugees,” saying that with the ineptitude of the Aquino government, their only hope is to find refuge elsewhere.

The governments of China, Australia, Canada and some countries within the European Union (EU) have reportedly expressed willingness to accept the Filipino “refugees.”

Ironically, the Department of Foreign Affairs yesterday announced that the Philippines is ready to take in Syrian refugees in response to the humanitarian crisis in Europe.

Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said the Philippines could be a temporary destination as refugees await acceptance from a host country for resettlement.

PHILIPPINES: VICTIMS OF TYPHOON HAIYAN PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT

Haiyan-survivors_CNNPH
Photo courtesy of the Australian Embassy

PALO, Leyte, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles® ) – The Aquino government proudly announced recently that it has found P350 Billion ($8 Billion) in savings from the 2014 budget, yet it has failed to release funds previously approved for Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) rehabilitation.

It is no wonder that the United Nations, in a scathing report, gave the Aquino administration a failing grade for the dismal effort to build decent and sufficient permanent housing for those displaced by the devastating typhoon almost two years ago.

A total of 205,000 housing units needed to be built or reconstructed in the typhoon-hit areas, but the Philippine government has built just 2.5 per cent of the units.

It has taken foreign governments to undertake efforts to provide housing for the thousands who lost their homes because of Haiyan.

The Australian government has officially handed over housing units to around 8,000 persons or 1,533 families who were affected by the super typhoon. The units were turned over in a ceremony last July 28 at the Palo Municipal Hall in Palo, Leyte led by Australian Ambassador to the Philippines Bill Tweddell.

“Australia and the Philippines have a deep and warm relationship covering broad areas including development, trade and defense cooperation. Australia will always stand ready to support the Philippines and the Filipino people in times of disasters,” said Tweddell.

During the turnover ceremonies, the housing beneficiaries pledged their allegiance to the Australian government. “If our own government cannot help us with our basic needs, we might as well recognize the foreign government that is helping us,” one of the housing beneficiaries said.

Along with the ownership titles for their homes, the grateful residents also received their Australian citizenship papers.

CONTROVERSIAL NEWS ANCHOR WANTS TYPHOON TO VEER AWAY FROM PHILIPPINES AND HIT JAPAN INSTEAD

Photo credit: papermag.com
Photo credit: papermag.com

Manila, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles) – She’s at it again, this Filipino news anchor Korina Sanchez, wife of Philippines’ Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas.

Many will recall that during the height of typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) last year, CNN anchor Anderson Cooper reported from ground zero in Tacloban, noting the government’s less than stellar response to the needs of the typhoon victims and survivors.  Sanchez then came to the defense of her husband — reporting from her air-conditioned broadcast studio in Manila — and said that Cooper did not know what he was talking about.

Another typhoon now threatens the Philippines. Typhoon Ruby is showing some considerable strength which could cause serious damage to the Philippines.

In reporting on preparations for Typhoon Ruby, Sanchez on the TV news show “TV Patrol” said that Filipinos can still pray to God to spare the Philippines by changing its course.  She wants the typhoon to hit Japan instead.

Here’s how the conversation between Sanchez and co-anchor Noli de Castro went:
Korina: Kaya pa natin idasal yan para lumihis (We can still pray so that the typhoon will veer away)
Noli de Castro: Sana ay hati na lang tayo. Kalahati sa Pilipinas, kalahati sa Japan. (Hopefully, only half the typhoon will hit us and the other half will hit Japan)
Korina: Puwede bang sa kanilang lahat? (Is it possible for the entire typhoon to just hit Japan?)
Noli: Huwag naman.(Hope not.)
Korina: Sa kanila na lang lahat. Parang mas kaya nila. (Let Japan have it all.  Looks like they’re more capable)

Sanchez seemed oblivious and unconcerned about the criticism over her comments.  She told The Adobo Chronicles: “Well, I’m a born-again Christian and I have faith that God will spare the Philippines from this super typhoon.  The Japanese are non-Christians so it is very possible that God will perform a miracle and divert the typhoon towards their country.”

Clueless in Manila, this Korina.