Category Archives: Local News

2014 HALLOWEEN IN THE CASTRO CANCELLED; FEW HAVE SIGNED UP FOR GAY REGISTRY

halloween1San Francisco, California (The Adobo Chronicles) – Last year, The Adobo Chronicles reported that Halloween in the Castro is set to return in 2014 with certain restrictions.

The City and County of San Francisco and the sponsors of the event, the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, agreed that only certified gay men and women will be allowed entry into the October 31st street festival.  This was  aimed at weeding out straight revelers who were said to be responsible for stabbing and shooting incidents in the past.

As part of the agreement, members of the LGBTQ community will have to register with San Francisco’s City Hall and be included in a “gay registry.”  Registrants, who will take an oath admitting that they are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or questioning, will be issued special identification cards linked to the official registry.  The IDs will be the only accepted pass to gain entry to the Halloween event. ID’s will be scanned at entrances to the event to confirm that individuals are listed in the official registry.

The registration period began on October 1, 2013 and ends on October 30, 2014.  However, as of today, City Hall is reporting that only 180 people have signed up for the gay registry.  “This number is not sufficient to justify street closures on Halloween night,” said Scott Wiener, who represents the Castro District on the Board of Supervisors. “We therefore have no choice but to cancel the event.”

Sister Mary Clarence of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence has no logical explanation for the low number of sign-ups for the gay registry. “I can only speculate that many baby boomer LGBTs no longer enjoy gay-themed Halloween parties, or that the younger generation of LGBTs are choosing to stay or get back in the closet,” she said.

A Castro resident who spoke on condition of anonymity thinks that with recent progress in marriage equality and LGBT rights, people in our community no longer feel the need for a separate Halloween celebration.

 

GAY SAN FRANCISCO POLITICIAN WANTS TO BE A COMMUNITY SEX SYMBOL

Wiener
Wiener

San Francisco, California (The Adobo Chronicles)- An openly-gay San Francisco politician has gone public about being sexually active and wants to be  a community sex symbol while serving as a role model for the prevention of HIV/AIDS.

Supervisor Scott Wiener who represents the predominantly gay Castro district has announced that he has been taking the one-pill-a-day pre-exposure prophylaxis believed to prevent HIV infection. It is known as PrEP (brand name Truvada).

Wiener, who said he was HIV negative, said that abstinence from sex is still the best way to prevent infection. “Since I don’t want to abstain from sex, I have to find a way to keep my HIV-negative status. Condoms are not 100% effective,” he added.

Other community activists criticized Wiener’s decision to come out about PrEP, pointing out that Truvada — unlike condoms –does not protect people from  sexually-transmitted diseases other than HIV. They said that PrEP may lead people to throw out condoms altogether and to totally abandon safer sex practices.

Wiener refused to reveal how many times per week he engages in sex, or how many multiple partners he has had — anonymous or not.  He would ‘t say either whether or not he’s been having unprotected sex. “Those are very personal information ” he said.

We assume that revealing one’s prophylaxis regimen – like Wiener did – is not.

BROWNOUT HELPS FILIPINOS NAVIGATE FLOODED STREETS

FullSizeRender (2)Manila,Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles) – Philippine President NoyNoy Aquino, who is in Europe enjoying fall weather, has praised the Manila Electric Company (MERALCO) for cutting off power in flooded Metro Manila.

In the last two days, half a month’s worth of heavy rains inundated most streets in the Metropolis, stranding thousands and thousands of commuters who had no way of getting back to their homes.

To enable commuters to navigate the floods and find alternative ways to get back to their homes, MERALCO announced a 48-hour brownout in all of Metro Manila. Soon after electricity was cut off, people started climbing up electric posts and used disabled electric wires to get from point A to point B to point C.

Filipinos praised the electric company for being responsive to the needs of the flood victims.

Meanwhile, The Adobo Chronicles learned that MERALCO will extend rebates to all power customers for the 48-hour brownout. So, who’s going to pay for the loss of power and its impact on homes and businesses?  A MERALCO spokesperson said the company will bill the Aquino Administration, charged to the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) funds which had recently been declared unconstitutional by the country’s Supreme Court.

We say yet  again: It’s More Fun in the Philippines. Hell or high water!