MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – Bowing to public pressure and critcism, the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced today it will immediately begin reconstruction of the controversial footbridge along EDSA in Kamuning, Quezon City.
The footbridge, dubbed by netizens as “footbridge to heaven” and “stairway to heaven,” had become the butt of jokes because of its unusual steep height, rising from the ground to almost the equivalent of a 6-8 storey building. People have complained that there is no way senior citizens and persons with disability (PWDs) can make it up then down the more than 9-meter skyway.
An MMDA spokesperson detailed the design revisions approved by the agency:
- Construction of an elevator from the ground to the top level of the footbridge
- Construction of an enclosure for the entire span of the bridge
- Installation of airconditioning for the bridge enclosure
- Installation of multi-colored strobe lights inside the enclosure to make for a pleasant journey up and down the footbridge
- Installation of of 3-D audio visual display upon reaching the top level of the bridge
With these improvements, MMDA is confident that the EDSA-Kamuning footbridge will become popular not only among local pedestrians — seniors and PWDs included — but also tourists from all over the world.
The MMDA spokesperson refused to give The Adobo Chronicles the cost estimates for the improvements to this P10 Million street project.