Tag Archives: Philippines

2016 CANDIDATE KRIS AQUINO BREAKS SILENCE ON PORK BARREL SCANDAL

imageTarlac, Philippines – On the eve of the planned Million Protest March in Manila, presidential sister and  TV host Kris Aquino has finally broken her silence on the Priority Assistance Development Fund (PADF) or pork barrel, which has consumed the country’s daily business due to a massive scam that has robbed Filipino taxpayers of more than 10 Billion pesos.

The Monday “people’s march” calls for the total abolition of pork barrel and the prosecution of citizens and politicians who have personally benefited from the scam. Philippine president NoyNoy Aquino, bowing to public pressure, had announced that he would scrap the pork barrel.

Kris Aquino, who had previously announced her intention to run for governor of her native province of Tarlac in Central Philippines in 2016, has all but been silent on the pork barrel scandal. Finally, at a press conference in Tarlac this weekend, Aquino declared, “As governor of Tarlac, I will not need any pork.”

Potential opponents in the 2016 Tarlac governor’s race were quick to dismiss Miss Aquino’s statement. “Of course it’s easy for her to say that,” said one local political foe, “she’s vegetarian!”

CHANGE IN OSCAR AWARDS VENUE ANNOUNCED

oscarniteHollywood, California – The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that the 2014 Oscar Awards Night has been moved to a new venue.  And it is not in Hollywood, but in the Philippines.  In an email alert to members of the Hollywood Press Association, the Academy said that because of the importance of the red carpet ceremonies which precede the handing out of the Oscar statuettes to the best of the best in the film industry, it needed to find a venue that can host the all-important “who are you wearing?” pre-festivities. And host it well. The Academy also wanted an international group of fashion police since it’s tired of the aging Joan Rivers and the “E!” anchors and reporters.

Members of the Academy board made the decision after viewing the State of the Nation Address (SONA) by Philippine President Noynoy Aquino at the Batasang Pambansa (National Assembly building) last Monday.  The almost two-hour speech (the equivalent of the U.S. State of the Union Address), was preceded by the usual fashion parade of politicians, their spouses and other invited celebrities and guests.  This year’s SONA red carpet was extremely sensational as attendees donned the best creations of the country’s top designers, jewelers and shoemakers.  Designs ranged from flowing ternos (the national dress) and hand-painted barong tagalogs (the national male formal attire) to rainbow-colored, ethnic-inspired gowns and floor-length dangling earrings.fashionista

The morning after front page coverage of all the major dailies highlighted the fashion extravaganza while relegating the text of  Aquino’s speech to their B-2 sections.

“The Philippines sure knows how to stage an elaborate red carpet,” the Academy noted, adding that the change in venue from Hollywood to Quezon City, will ensure a billion or more worldwide viewers of the televised Oscar ceremonies.

PEOPLE MAGAZINE TO REVEAL TOP CHOICE FOR 2013 SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

imageSan Francisco, California – People Magazine has reportedly narrowed down to 2  its top picks to grace its much-awaited November issue on the 2013 “Sexiest Man Alive.”  Thanks to audio tapes released by an anonymous summer intern at the National Security Administration, the magazine’s choices reached the news desk of The Adobo Chronicles this morning. Many will recall that the NSA had admitted monitoring phone calls of journalists, and that included conversations among the top editors of People.  Our sources revealed that the editors are really having a hard time deciding on its No. 1 pick.

imageFor the first time in the history of the annual special issue, the top contenders are a Brit and a Pinoy (slang for Filipino).

Who will it be? Prince Harry of Britain’s Royal Family or Dennis Trillo, the most talked-about television actor in the Philippines today.

Harry, 28, is best remembered for his Las Vegas hotel video in August of 2012, prancing around naked with some ladies he had invited to his hotel room.  That incident reportedly generated billions of dollars in free publicity for the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors’ Bureau, but it also killed the popular notion that “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.”  Dennis, 32, considered by the elite Filipino American gay community in the San Francisco Bay Area, as the most beautiful face on Philippine television today,  plays a gay character in the much-talked about television series, “My Husband’s Lover.”  This is a highly-controversial show which the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines had tried many times, but failed, to stop airing.  Dennis plays the lover of a closeted gay man who is married with two kids.

People’s editors are reportedly considering putting their dilemma to a popular world-wide Internet vote.

Meanwhile, Queen Elizabeth, taking a tea break from a Royal birth watch at a London hospital – where Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge are expecting their firstborn — told reporters that if Dennis Trillo wins over her grandson, she will graciously confer honorary knighthood to the Filipino actor.