MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – The National Historical Commission has imposed a heavy fine on 1Sambayan for violation of Republic Act 8491.
RA 8491 lays down the rules on the use of the Philippine national flag and anthem. It recognizes only ONE national anthem, “Lupang Hinirang” composed by Julian Felipe.
Many will recall that during 1Sambayan’s June 12 event in which it announced its short list of candidates for the 2022 Presidential and Vice Presidential contests, it played Ryan Cayabyab’s “O Bayan Ko” in lieu of Felipe’s “Lupang Hinirang.,”
“This is the highest form of disrespect for the country, its flag and its national anthem,” a spokesperson for the NHC told The Adobo Chronicles.
NHC, which is in charge of implementing RA 8491, did not reveal the amount of the fine, but sources say it is in the nine figures.
MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – Vice President Leni Robredo’s account of World War II pales in comparison to ABS-CBN’s recollection of the Spanish colonization of the Philippines.
Robredo previously added two years to World War II, saying on her weekly radio program that the war was still going on in 1947 (the war ended in 1945).
ABS-CBN has just revised Philippine history, in its commemorative piece of The Battle of Manila Bay, 123 years ago today, May 1.
The defunct news network reduced Spain’s colonial rule of the Philippines from three centuries to just one. It wasn’t even sure when it said “almost a century.”
Following ABS-CBN’s announcement, the Department of Education is now reportedly scrambling to revise its Philippine history modules to reflect the new historical fact.
MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – A non-partisan coalition of groups has announced that on March 17, it will hold a huge mass rally on EDSA (site of the historic gathering that led to the ouster of then President Ferdinand E. Marcos), to commemorate the first anniversary of the Philippines’ Enhanced Community Quarantine, or ECQ.
The ECQ was first imposed in all of Luzon island and subsequently across the country by President Rodrigo Duterte to mark the government’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic. Since then, Filipinos were banned from leaving their homes, going to malls and churches, and forbidden to travel. There were also many localized lockdowns and a host of restrictions and innovative health protocols that boggled people’s minds.
The national government’s Covid-19 policy-making body, the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) has surprisingly issued a blanket permit for Monday’s mass rally, provided that participants adhere to these rules:
Wearing of face masks
Wearing of face shields
No texting or talking on cell phones
No public display of affection (holding hands, kissing, hugging)
No conversations or laughter
Above all: strict observance of physical distancing. Health Secretary Francisco Duque will be in attendance at the rally with his tape measure to ensure adherence to theone-meter rule.