MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – A photo of Philippine Vice President Leni Robredo receiving a gift painting of herself from a cadet has gone viral on social media. The painting shows an unimpressive and not-so-complimentary face of the VP.
In fairness to the painter-cadet, The Adobo Chronicles conducted an investigation and expert analysis of the said photo. Here are our findings:
- We found what seems to be an unaltered version of the viral photo in Robredo’s social media account and we compared the two photos
- We noticed that the two photos didn’t show the same cadet
- The uniforms worn by the cadets in the photos were starkly different. Come on, look that oversized cader cap in the viral photo
- Robredo wasn’t wearing the same dress in the two photos
- In the viral photo, there is an electric wire hanging on the wall leading up to the room behind Robredo and the cadet
- The viral photo featured several photobombers whereas none were seen in Robredo’s official photo
- As for the gift painting, we could not confirm the authenticity of either the one in the viral photo or the one in the official photo. (Hey, we’re not perfect. We’ll leave the fact-checking on the paintings to Rappler and Vera Files)
MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – In anticipation of Miss Universe Catriona Gray’s homecoming, dolls representing the Philippine beauty queen are selling like hotcakes.
That gave Rappler CEO Maria Ressa an idea to help fund her legal fees involving charges filed against her for tax evasion and cyber libel.
Today, Rappler launched a Lazada-type online shopping website which sells special edition Maria Ressa dolls. Rappler said proceeds from the sale will hopefully generate money to help with Ressa’s legal bills.
Rappler’s current appeal for Filipinos to subscribe to and be a member of Rappler Plus at P3,500 apiece, isn’t going very well. It is apparent that many Filipinos are hesistant to cough up hard-earned money just to receive fake and biased news from Rappler.
But dolls always grab the attention of people and it looks like the Ressa dolls are selling quite well, like hotcakes.