MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – When it comes to grassroots activism, nothing beats #hashtags campaigns in the Philippines.
It all began with #BabaeAko, a campaign launched to critize President Rodrigo Duterte’s alleged misogyny. No less than former Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo is part of this campaign.
Well, move over #BabaeAko, several new #hashtag campaigns are flooding the Philippines’ social media. Here are some of them:
- #BabaeAko #SiguradoKa? – A counter campaign to the #BabaeAko hashtag
- #BaklaAko – A campaign launched by the Kapisanan ng mga Beki sa Pilipinas (KBP) to counter homophobia
- #NaanoLangAko – A campaign by single moms, in obvious reference to a comment made by (now) Senate President Tito Sotto during the confirmation hearing of Taguiwalo
- #PedophileAko – A campaign by victims of sexual abuse by Catholic bishops and priests
- #MagandaAko – A campaign launched by followers of Maria Ressa, Jover Laurio and RaissaRobles
Who knows what other #hashtag campaigns will follow suit?