Hollywood, California - The Academy Awards nominations for the 86th Oscars will not be announced until January 16, 2014, but already, controversy has come to Hollywood town.
Members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are crying foul over official submissions to the foreign language film category of the Oscars. The root of the controversy is the fact that the Philippines has not one, but three entries. These include “Transit, ” the Philippines’ official submisson; “Metro Manila,” the U.K.’s submission and “Ilo Ilo,” the official entry of Singapore.
The protesting members said that in effect, the Philippines has three entries in the said category. “That gives the Philippines two extra chances of being nominated for, and awarded, an Oscar,” they said.
The Academy’s board of governors is set to meet next week to discuss the complaints and issue a ruling.
Meanwhile, Ellen DeGeneres, the host for the 86th Oscar Awards ceremonies, is reportedly thrilled about the “triple” chances for the Philippines to win an Oscar. It is common knowledge that Ellen has a special spot in her heart for Filipinos. Many of her invited guests for her “Ellen” show were great Filipino talents she saw on YouTube, among them singing sensation Charice.
Muntinlupa City, Philippines (EXCLUSIVE to The Adobo Chronicles) – Last month, The Adobo Chronicles broke the story about the decision by the Association of Beauty Pageant Franchise Holders (ABPFH) to disqualify the Philippines from international beauty pageants in the next two years, along with Venezuela and Brazil. The decision was based on the extraordinary record of the three countries in winning the titles of the major beauty pageants and for consistently making it to the top 5 in the pageant finals. Close to three million netizens took to Facebook and Twitter to protest that decision, but the ABPFH did not budge.
Yesterday, however, the ABPFH announced that it has lifted the ban for both the Philippines and Brazil after winners of the 2013 Miss Earth Beauty Pageant held in the Philippines were named. Miss Venezuela, Alyz Henrich, won the title. Miss Brazil didn’t make it to the top 16. Although Miss Philippines Angelee de los Reyes was among the 8 finalists, ABPFH said it wasn’t good enough to maintain the Philippines’ winning streak of always being in the top 5.
Venezuela, Brazil and the Philippines hold the record of having won the title for all the major international beauty pageants. Venezuela added another feather to its cap when it won the 2013 Mr. International Pageant held in Jakarata, Indonesia last month.
It remains to be seen whether Filipino netizens will praise the ABPFH decision to lift the ban for the Philippines or criticize it for dismissing and devaluing the “top 8″ performance of Miss Philippines.
Atlanta, Georgia – After almost a year of tinkering, CNN Worldwide President Jeff Zucker has concluded that a news channel cannot subsist on news alone. So he is planning much broader changes for the network—including a prime-time shakeup that’s likely to make CNN traditionalists cringe.
In the first of what was expected to be a series of announcements on new programming, Zucker – who admits his name sounds like “hooker,” revealed that CNN has signed a 3-year contract with reality TV personality Kim Kardashian to anchor a prime time hour-long show titled “KKG 24/7.” Kardasian will discuss with invited pundits the latest gossip in politics, entertainment and world events.” “KKG” is the acronym for Kim Kardashian Gossip.
“KKG 24/7″ will reportedly replace Anderson Cooper’s “AC 360.” It isn’t known whether “AC 360″ will go off the air.
Last month, The Adobo Chronicles reported that Cooper has been nominated by President Obama to be the next U.S. ambassador to the Philippines, after his outstanding live coverage of the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. Now that Cooper has been bumped off CNN, will he finally become Ambassador Cooper?
New York, New York (EXCLUSIVE to The Adobo Chronicles) – The big news at MSNBC is the resignation Wednesday of Martin Bashir, the British journalist who became famous for the television film “Living with Michael Jackson” in which he interviewed the late pop singer over a span of eight months. Prior to joining MSNBC, Bashir was employed at ABC. Until his resignation, Bashir was a political commentator for MSNBC and a correspondent for Dateline NBC.
Bashir’s decision to quit was prompted by a commentary he made last month against Sarah Palin, the former Republican vice-presidential nominee, in which he criticized her for statements comparing American debt to slavery, saying she deserved the same kind of humiliating and degrading treatment that some slaves faced. Ms. Palin herself, was a commentator/consultant for the rival network Fox News.
In announcing Bashir’s resignation, MSNBC issued a separate statement saying that it has hired Palin to replace Bashir. “We thought that hiring Ms. Palin to replace Bashir would show our sincerity in not condoning Bashir’s controversial comments on our network,” said Phil Griffin, MSNBC president. “It is the perfect apology, no doubt,” he added.
Bashir is no stranger to controversy. In 2008, while keynoting the gala banquet of the Asian American Journalists Association at the UNITY:Journalists of Color convention in Chicago, he remarked about how exciting it was for him to be in a room of great looking “Asian babes” and then added that he was glad he was standing behind a podium so no one could see how excited he really was.
New York, New York - The days of ‘Tickle Me Elmo,’ Transformers, Scrabble and Monopoly are over. In this age of capitalist technology, the hottest games, gifts and toys in the market over the last many Christmas seasons have been Microsoft’s X-Box, Nintendo’s Wii and other electronic devices.
But wait — not any more. The makers of traditional toys and games are fighting back, and are winning! Yesterday, the American Toys and Games Manufacturers’ Association (ATGMA) revealed the top item in the 2013 wish list of shoppers, based on a nationwide survey of consumers – children and adults alike.
The winner: “The New and Improved Dart Board Game.” The 2013 model of this once-favored game features an enlarged bull’s eye center section (see photo). The game’s manufacturer said that it hit the jackpot when it tested the new device among focus groups earlier this year. “We had a 100% approval rating,” it said, adding that “players liked the idea of a perfect score each time they played. With this new model, it is almost impossible not to hit the bull’s eye.”
As of yesterday, the new dart board game is sold out and online orders have a 2-week backorder status. It retails for $99.99.
Washington, DC - The big news this week was Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos’ announcement that the future of package delivery would be the unmanned drone. It has generated both jitters and excitement in government circles and the business community because of its impact on airspace security and potential for crime as well as the efficiency of the shipping industry.
Today, the United States Postal Service (USPS) announced its response to Amazon’s drone delivery. It is calling it the Rabbit Express, not to be confused with the bus service to and from New York City.
For many years now, USPS has been plaqued with financial problems due to competition from shipping services like UPS and FedEx as well as the ease and popularity of emails versus postal delivery.
Unknown to many, USPS has been developing a new delivery service that would be faster and cheaper than all the services it currently offers while eliminating the need for mail delivery (human) personnel.
Classified documents obtained by The Adobo Chronicles revealed that USPS has been training herds and herds of rabbits which, with the aid of computer chips, could deliver letters and flat envelopes to addresses within a 50-mile radius of post offices in less than 20 minutes. The documents showed that the cost of the Rabbit Express would be 50% less than what USPS now charges for flat-rate priority mail. The secret training farm is located somewhere in Arizona.
If it fits the size and weight of the rabbit, it ships!
Topeca, Kansas – The Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) announced today that their leader, Fred Phelps, has been diagnosed with incurable depression and Acute Attention Deficit Disorder. The announcement came soon after WBC said they were planning on picketing the funeral of ‘Fast and Furious’ star Paul Walker who died in a car crash last weekend. In a tweet, the WBC said, “Paul Walker taught a nation to be fast and furious. He died that same way.”
Church members, 100% of whom are family members of Phelps, said that their leader has become so depressed because he was not getting the right amount of attention he wanted from the group’s public pickets.
The WBC is an American unaffiliated Baptist church known for its extreme ideologies and has been involved in actions against gay people since at least 1991, when it sought a crackdown on homosexual activity at Gage Park, six blocks northwest of the church. In addition to conducting anti-gay protests at military funerals, the organization pickets other celebrity funerals and public events that are likely to get media attention. Protests have also been held against Jews and some protests have included WBC members stomping on the American flag.
It is not known whether Phelps will continue in his position as head of the WBC. In the last week, he has reportedly locked himself in his bedroom, watching a video of the 1950 film, Sunset Boulevard, over and over. Family members have heard him constantly uttering the line from the film: “Alright Mr. DeMille, I am ready for my close-up.” It is a famous line by the film’s crazed attention-driven actress character Norma Desmond (played by Gloria Swanson).
San Jose, California - If you think the Washington Redskins is the only sports team that is generating a lot of controversy over its name and mascot, think again. Other teams have had their share of criticism and protest, among them, the Atlanta Braves, South Florida University Seminoles, Cleveland Indians, and Chicago Blackhawks .
The latest sports team to face ridicule is the San Jose Sharks, the popular hockey team of the Silicon Valley.
In a letter to Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson, a group of international oceanographers demanded that the Sharks immediately change its name. The group said that sharks already have a bad rap because of the Hollywood movie, Jaws. “The last thing we need is to have a hockey team unnecessarily parading and promoting the ‘sharks’ name and mascot, especially if if loses its games,” the group said.
The San Jose Sharks has not issued any response to the oceanographers’ demand. It remains to be seen whether or not San Jose will remain “sharks territory.”
San Jose, California (The ADOBO CHRONICLES) – The world watched as a 24-year old undocumented immigrant interrupted President Obama’s speech on immigration in San Francisco last week.
Ju Hong, who was among those invited to be part of the President’s backdrop for his speech, demanded that Obama issue an executive order to stop all deportations of undocumented immigrants. Instead of allowing the Secret Service to whisk Hong away, Obama said the heckler could stay so that he could give the young man from South Korea an abridged civics lesson.
Well, it turns out that among those watching the television coverage of Obama’s speech was Debra Zane, the casting director of ‘Hunger Games.’ It so happened that she was finalizing the casting for the film’s third installment of the trilogy. Immediately after the San Francisco event, Zane contacted Hong and offered him a role in ‘Mockingjay.’
In ‘Mockingjay,’ Katniss Everdeen (played by Jennifer Lawrence) leads the rebels in uprisings against President Snow and the Capitol. Hong will play one of the young rebels in District 13.
Zane said that watching Hong’s courage and passion in speaking out during Obama’s speech impressed her, and that those are the characteristics she was looking for in casting young rebels for ‘Mockingjay.’ Hong’ s rebel role will involve heckling President Snow as he addresses his loyal constituents in the Capitol.
Zane refused to answer the question on whether the film production company will sponsor Hong’s green card application.
Washington, D.C. - While the rest of the Fourth Estate are up in arms over what they call the Obama administration’s attempt to stifle their First Amendment rights, The Adobo Chronicles today was granted full, unconditional access to all White House meetings, press briefings, private audiences with the President and a 24-access to all rooms except the Presidential bedroom.
This unprecedented accreditation comes on the heels of complaints by American media over the Obama administration’s not-so-covert efforts to trace, identify and punish confidential sources of news media reports, including whistleblowers. Very recently, photojournalists were restricted on which White House events they can shoot. The White House, however, said it will provide the news media with copies of official photographs taken by the administration’s own photographers. News media associations described this new policy as “The White House distributing press releases for newsrooms to publish or disseminate.”
Since its founding in June of this year, The Adobo Chronicles has been gaining worldwide popularity, with its website recording an average of 1 Million hits per month, and counting. International publications like The International Business Times and The Latin Times have recently relied on The Adobo Chronicles as a credible source for their own stories, especially with regards to beauty pageants and the aftermath of the Haiyan typhoon in the Philippines. Also, it was The Adobo Chronicles that broke the stories about CNN’s Anderson Cooper’s appointment as new ambassador to the Philippines and the state of California’s proposal to totally ban lechon (Filipino roasted pig), roasted duck and boiled crab.
At the last White House press briefing, President Obama welcomed The Adobo Chronicles, describing it as the media’s “new beacon of light.”