MANILA, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles, Manila Bureau) – It goes without saying that Filipinos take their beauty pageants very seriously, and so coronavirus or no coronavirus, the show must go on!
Today, Binibining Pilipinas Charities announced drastic changes for its 2020 pageant scheduled for April 26 to select the country’s representatives to Miss Universe, Miss International and other prestigious world beauty pageants.
1. There will be no tickets sold to the finals night at the Araneta Coliseum. There will be no live audience.
2. Instead, the producers will sell subscriptions to a Pay-Per-View channel for those wishing to watch the pageant “live” from the comfort of their homes. (Not ABS-CBN because it is anticipated that the network will be closed by then due to its franchise expiration.)
3. Contestants will be required to wear face masks throughout all phases of the competition, including the finals night.
4. “Beauty of Face” will be stricken off the judges’ criteria since they won’t see the contestants‘ faces.
5. In lieu of the national/regional costume competition, contestants will participate in a “Masquerade,” parading in elaborate masks and hand gloves.
”It’s better to be safe than sorry,” a pageant spokesperson told The Adobo Chronicles.” “We want to ensure the health and safety of our contestants, judges, crew and pageant fans.”