Forget about its gross receipts at the box office. Darryl Yap’s controversial film, ‘Maid in Malacañang will go down in Philippine history for these top 5 accomplishments:
- It will be known as the film that ruffled historians.
- It has opened up a new career move for historians — as film reviewers.
- It has paved the way for a big comeback of that all-time favorite Filipino game and pastime, mahjong!
- It has increased demand for plastic hair curlers.
- Philippine lawmakers are now seriously considering introducing a bill increasing the minimum wage for kasambahay (domestic help).
…and all because of a relatively neophyte film director!