All posts by Pol Pinoy


imageCupertino, California – Tech giant Apple has just unveiled its latest innovation, and it’s not a smart phone or  a tablet computer. It’s the iGlass.

Seen as Apple’s response to the Google Glass, the new high-fashion, unisex, one size fits all shades does not have a camera or the other Google Glass features.  “What it does is show a constant self reflection of the wearer, enabling him or her to keep his or her appearance and poise in check at all times,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said. “However, when other people look at your iGlass, they will see their own reflection. Like the iPhone and iPad cameras, iGlass is both front and rear facing, so to speak. This will eliminate the need for mirrors in public restrooms and rid ladies’ handbags of those tiny make up compact mirrors,” Cook added.

Consumers were quick to praise the iGlass, saying that the new product will have a wide-ranging positive impact and will bring about a truly joyful world of  pleasant-looking human beings.

Unlike the Google Glass, the iGlass can be worn over prescription eyeglasses. “That’s big plus,” one consumer exclaimed.iGlass

The iGlass comes complete with UV rays protective coating, is scratch-proof, ultra light, and is available in white or black plexiglass frame. The frame can be folded to fit into a pouch and plastic case with key chain (included). It will retail for $99.99.



imageHonolulu, Hawaii – Hawaiian Airlines has recently announced new boarding procedures for all of its domestic and international flights.

Airline passengers know that different carriers have their own unique boarding procedures, offering early and priority boarding to first class passengers, members of their frequent flier programs,individuals needing special assistance, and by row numbers.

The newly-announced  procedures at Hawaiian eliminate boarding by class or frequent traveler status.  Instead, ticketed passengers will be asked to form a single line at the designated gate on a first-come, first-served basis.  When the plane is ready for boarding, each passenger first in the queue will be asked to say the name of Hawaii’s state fish – humuhumunukunukuapua’a. Anyone who cannot say the name will be asked to go back to the end of the line. image

Hawaiian Airlines said that the new policy is meant to help promote greater appreciation of things Hawaiian.

The reef triggerfish was originally designated the official fish of Hawaii in 1985,  but due to an expiration of a Hawaiian state law after five years, it ceased to be the state fish in 1990. In 2006, a bill was passed in the state assembly which permanently reinstated humuhumunukunukuapuaʻa as the state fish of Hawaii.

So, next time you fly Hawaiian, it’s no longer enough just to be able to say, “Aloha.” You must be able to say, “hoo-moo-hoo-moo-noo-koo-noo-koo-ah-poo-wah-ah!”


imageManila, Philippines –  As calls for the scrapping of the Priority Development Assistance Fund, better known as pork barrel, escalated, Philippine Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto  has proposed that a good portion of P26-billion fund be realigned and spent on education—for more teachers, classrooms, science labs and even meals for malnourished children in public schools.

“If plans to scrap the P26-bllion PDAF in the proposed 2014 national budget will push through, then a big portion of that amount must go to education,” Recto said . He has a new name for the pork barrel fund—Basic Education Enhancement Fund or BEEF.

Recto’s proposal was immediated applauded by sectors of the Philippine beef industry. Commercial and backyard cattle raisers alike said that it is about time that the beef business be given a big boost.  Consumption of pork in the Philippines far outnumbers that of beef, primarily because of the prohibitive prices of the latter.

“Recto’s proposal, if approved by Congress, would be the best advertising for the beef industry,” cattle raisers said . “And thanks to the pork barrel scam, pork’s reputation has significant declined. Now it is beef’s time to stage a comeback,” they added.

The total cattle inventory in the country as of January 1, 2013 was almost 2.50 million heads. This was 0.19 percent higher than last year’s record of 2.49 million heads. Of the total inventory, about 2.32 million heads or 93.00 percent were raised in backyard farms. The remaining 7.00 percent or about 0.17 million head were raised in commercial farms.

As of press time, the Cattle Industry is finalizing a nationwide ad campaign and has come up with a catchy meme, “Butt out, pork. Here’s the beef!”